February 22, 2012

a deeper connection.

After spending a week with my grandparents, Nonny and Poppy, I realized that I need to make a better effort in communicating with my luved ones.  Yes, I am the queen of Facebooking and can text all day but I have really started to lack in verbal communication.  It is seldom that I pick up the phone and call a friend just to chat anymore!
Last week, while Nonny and Poppy were busy reading the newspaper and calling their friends to say hi and see how they're doing, I was checking Facebook to see what my 'friends' were up to and was updating my status so anyone who cared can read it, like it and comment on it.  Can you say, disconnected?!

I got to share Nonny's 79th birthday with her last week.  This was very special for me.  On this day, I was getting ready and could hear her in the other room reading something.  Curious (like always) I walked out and noticed she was reading a birthday card she had received.  I sat down and listened; it was a really nice card from one of her friends.  After she finished reading it, she picked up another card, opened it and began reading out loud.  I looked over and she had about a five inch stack of cards that she had received for her birthday.  All telling her to have a great day and that they luved her and appreciated her as their friend.  I was blown away.  I have never seen that many cards sent to one person in one day.  Talk about inspiration.
I was asking her who sent her all these cards and basically you name it, they sent a card.  Her kids, nieces, life long friends, new friends, neighbors - oh! and her neighbors were bringing her flowers and small little gifts - it was so sweet.  It was like a world wide memo went out that it was her birthday and she was soaking it all in. 

I was blown away by all of this.  I started thinking about how detached I was from most of my friends and family.  I have been totally absorbed in my own world and instantly wanted to reach out.  I have made it a personal goal of mine to talk with my family more and pick up the phone to chat with my friends (yes, I will be calling you!), so be ready.  I am going to be reconnecting with the outside world! 
...is your phone ringing yet? :)

2 comments:

  1. I hear you loud and clear. I am glued to my computer and Droid and worry that I will project this image onto my kids. You lose track of friends when you can only see 6-10 news feeds. I wonder how everyone else doing? Maybe I should take time out myself to actually dial the phone to find out. Brrrrrrrring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... it's crazy! And then before we know it, we are wrapped up in our own little World. Cheers to making an effort :)

      Delete