January 18, 2012

flashback.

This may seem really random, but have you seen the move You Again?  I was rummaging through my Netflix the other day and came across this comedy and was in the mood for something light and funny so this one won.  It was kind of corny, as most chick flicks are, but it did have a good message that brought me back...

Before I start my ranting, let me catch you up and get you on the same page.  Basically, nerdy girl gets picked on in high school by bully girl.  They go separate ways in life... nerdy girl gets called back into town for brother's wedding.  Brother is marrying bully girl.  Typical!  Through the movie, all nerdy girl wants is acknowledgement from bully girl... apologies for being a bully.  But bully girl does not give any indication that she even remembers her and the war begins - you want the rest, go watch the movie!  It's actually really funny :)
My story... I had a great time growing up.  If you know me from back then, you know I was all about having a good time.  Sometimes so much of a good time that it was at the expense of someone else.  I luved my friends more than anything and spent as much time with them as possible!  But, I was not always the nicest girl.  Much of my high school and college days were spent convincing my friends to skip class, talk smack and chasing boys - my favorite!  Back then I believed those were "the days" and I definitely enjoyed them to the fullest.  Looking back now, I probably hurt a lot of people in my path and those bad decisions that I made impacted a lot of people.  It was my own immaturity and insecurities that really shine through now when I reflect back.  Unfortunately, I can not go back in time and change my behavior.  In fact, those days will always be a part of me and to anyone that I ever offended or hurt, I am very sorry.  I often have this fear when I go back to my home town that I will run into someone that will remember something horrible about me from my past and throw it in my face.  A lot of the inspiration behind my transformation was to start over and be a good person. 
I made a promise to myself and to the world a long time ago that I would do good and be good.  As Gandhi says, "Be the change you want to see in the world" ...I believe that each of us have the power to change.  I talk a lot about being healthy and making lifestyle changes.  Positivity is a lifestyle change.  Confidence is a lifestyle change.  It's not all about what you eat (...although it is a big part of it!) or how you look, it's how you feel!  It's how you feel about yourself; it's about how you feel about others.  Your compassion, your luv of live and the aura you put into the universe.  Know that smiling at a stranger can make their day brighter.  Paying it forward is not only good for your own Karma, it makes others feel good too.  When they feel good... that will be passed onto someone else... and someone else... and the domino effect continues!
I know now that I am true and good.  All of my bad choices in life have resulted in a lot of experiences, both good and bad, that helped mold me into who I am today.  Thankfully, I have the opportunity everyday to be a good person... and so do you :)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment